Chicken Keema – Follow the below steps to prepare chicken keema. It is prepared by cooking minced chicken meat in spices. Keema can be used in preparation of chicken keema sandwich, chicken keema samosa & chicken keema pizza. Or it can be had directly with your favourite bread like roti or pav.
Details about chicken keema
- Serving – 4 people
- Cuisine – Indian
- Course – Main
- Time to cook – 1 hour
Ingredients for chicken keema
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 6 cloves
- 5 green cardamom
- 3 medium sized onions – paste
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 6 green chilies slit from the middle
- 2 tomatoes – paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 15-20 mint leaves
- 600 grams chicken minced
- Handful of coriander for garnish
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt to taste
Steps to prepare chicken keema
- Heat about 1/2 cup oil in a pan on a medium flame.
- Once the oil is heated, add 2 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera), 2 inch cinnamon, 6 cloves, 5 green cardamoms and 1/2 tsp. black pepper powder.
- Fry the whole masala for a minute.
- Add the paste of 3 medium sized onions to the pan & fry till the onions become translucent.
- Also add a little salt along with onions.
- Once the onions are fried, add 3 tbsp. ginger garlic paste. Also add 6 green chilies (slit from middle).
- Fry ginger garlic paste for a minute till the raw aroma of ginger garlic goes off.
- Now add paste of 2 medium sized tomatoes.
- Also add 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder, 2 tsp. coriander powder, 2 tsp. red chili powder & 1 tsp. garam masala.
- Let the mixture fry till the tomatoes become soft & mushy and oil starts to separate.
- Add 600 grams minced chicken meat to the mixture.
- Also add 1/2 cup water along with chicken meat to allow it to cook.
- Cover the pan with the lid.
- Check the keema in every 10 minutes to check whether chicken is cooked or not.
- Also add salt now as per taste.
- Once the chicken is cooked (it took 30 minutes for me) remove the lid from the pan & cook the keema on high flame and let the remaining water evaporate. It should be moist without any water. This is the end result we are looking for.
- Garnish the keema with handful of coriander leaves
- Adjust the spice accordingly.
- Keema can be served as it is with roti/pav or can be used for other preparations.
- You can also add green peas (about 1/4 cup).