Coconut Chicken Curry – Follow the steps given below to prepare coconut chicken curry which can be served with rice or your bread.
I will be sharing more chicken recipes & keep updating the posts.
Let me know how coconut chicken curry turns out for you.
Do share the recipe if you like it.
Details about Coconut Chicken Curry
- Serving – 4 people
- Cuisine – Indian
- Course – Main
- Time to cook – 2 hours 40 minutes (2 hours for marinating)
Ingredients for Coconut Chicken Curry
- 700 gms chicken
- 3 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. garam/chicken masala
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 8 tbsp. oil
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 large onion (1 & 1/2 cup finely chopped)
- 8 green chilies
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 medium tomato (1/4 – 1/2 cup finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut (Smooth paste to me made along with some water)
- 3 tsp. chicken masala/garam masala
- 2 tsp. red chili powder
- 4 tbsp. coriander finely cut for garnish
- 1 cup water
Steps to prepare Coconut Chicken Curry
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and put them in a large bowl where you can mix other ingredients to it.
- To the chicken, add 3 tbsp. ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp. garam/chicken masala, 1/2 tsp. turmeric, 1 tsp. red chili powder & 1 tbsp. lemon juice.
- Mix everything together.
- Cover the bowl and let it rest for 2 hours.
- Heat 8 tbsp. oil in a pan on a medium flame.
- Add 2 star anise, 1 inch cinnamon, 6 green cardamoms to the oil, when its hot.
- Also add 2 tsp. jeera to the above mixture.
- Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups of finely cut onions. (You can also make a paste of onions).
- Fry the onions till they become golden in color.
- Once they are golden, add 8 green chilies which are finely chopped.
- After about a minute, add 3 tbsp. garam/chicken masala, 2 tsp. coriander powder, 2 tsp. red chili powder & salt to taste.
- Also add 1 medium sized tomato, finely cut.
- Let the mixture fry, till the oil is separated & tomato is soft & mushy. It will take around 5 minutes.
- Now add 1/2 cup coconut paste and mix very well.
- Add the marinated chicken to above mixture.
- Add sufficient water to cover the chicken pieces.
- Keep the flame to low & let the chicken pieces cook, till they are done.
- Depending on the size of the pieces, it may take more/less time.
- Check the doneness of chicken at regular intervals.
- Once the chicken is cooked, check for spice levels & adjust as per preference.
- Switch off the flame & add 4 tbsp. finely cut coriander to it as a garnish.
- Serve hot along with chapatis, naan or rice.
- You can brine the chicken before marinating. Brining helps to retain the moisture of chicken while cooking, resulting in soft & succulent chicken pieces.
- Adjust the spice levels as per your preference. I usually get mild green chilies & mild store bought red chili powder.