Details about dum aloo
- Serving – 4 people
- Cuisine – Indian
- Course – Main
- Time to cook – 45 minutes
Ingredients for dum aloo
- 15-16 baby potatoes ( can replace with 4-5 normal Potatoes cut in small cubes)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chilies
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- 1 tej patta (bay leaf)
- 1/2 tsp. jeera powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. hing (asafetida)
- 1 tsp. kasuri methi
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- Oil for deep frying + more oil for making curry
Steps to prepare dum aloo
Frying the potatoes
- Take 15-16 baby potatoes or 4-5 normal sized potatoes and boil them for 2 whistles in a pressure cooker.
- Make sure do not boil it till they are very soft as in next steps we will deep dry them & cook them in curry.
- Once the potatoes are boiled, peel off the skin.
- If using normal sized potatoes (just like I did), cut them in four parts and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a fry pan on a medium heat and then start deep frying the potatoes till they get golden brown.
- Do not over crowd the pan & fry them in batches. Keep the fried potatoes aside and let them cool off.
- Alternatively, use can pan fry them with less oil. Prick the potatoes with tooth pick and shallow fry them in oil. You can add some chilli powder, chaat masala, salt in the oil to impart more flavor to potato.
- To start making curry, in a pan add 4-5 tbsp. of oil and heat it on medium flame.
- Add 1/2 inch cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 3 green cardamoms, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp. jeera seeds & 3 cloves and fry them for 30-40 seconds.
- To it, add finely diced 2 medium sized onions and fry them till they get browned.
- Once they are browned, add 1 tbsp. ginger & 1 tbsp. garlic paste.
- Fry them for 2-3 minutes till the raw aroma of ginger garlic goes off.
- Now add 1 medium sized diced tomato and 2 green chilies to the mixture.
- Let it cook for 5-7 minutes till the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Turn off the gas and let the mixture cool down.
- Once the mixture is cooled down, add the mixture in the blender and turn it into a smooth paste.
- Transfer this paste again to the same pan & add also the spices (1 tsp. coriander powder, 1 tsp. garam masala, 1 tsp. red chili powder, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder and pinch of hing)
- Cook the mixture till the gravy turns to boil on lower flame.
- Add the fried potatoes at this stage.
- Adjust the thickness of gravy by adding water ( I added 1 cup of water)
- Let it come to boil and add 1 tsp. crushed kasuri methi and mix well.
- Taste the curry and adjust the spices and thickness as per your preference.
- Serve hot with naan or roti or rice.
- Adjust the spices are per your preference.
- Two options to fry potatoes – Deep fry or shallow fry, its all up to you.