Egg Ghotala – Step by step process to prepare egg ghotala. This is a very popular dish found on the streets of Surat. It takes some effort to make as it involved cooking the eggs first in two different ways(boiled egg & fried egg), but the end result is very delicious dish.
Do share the recipe if you like it.
Details for egg ghotala
- Serving – 5 people
- Course – Main
- Cuisine – Indian
- Time to cook – 45 minutes
Ingredients for egg ghotala
- 7 eggs
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 cups finely cut onions
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 4 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 2-3 finely cut green chilies
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/4 cup finely cut coriander for garnishing
- 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
Steps to prepare egg ghotala
- Of the 7 eggs, hard boil 4 eggs (How to hard boil egg)
- Remaining 3 eggs, make a half fry (sunny side up)
- Keep the eggs aside for later use.
- Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a pan & add 1 tsp. cumin seeds.
- Let them crackle & add then add 2 cups of onions.
- Also add salt now, as it will help the onions to cook quicker.
- Fry the onions on medium flame, till they become translucent.
- Add 4 tsp. ginger garlic paste and 2-3 green chilies, fry for a minute or two.
- Add 1 1/2 cup tomatoes finely chopped, after the raw smell of ginger & garlic goes off.
- To it, add 1 tsp. turmeric powder, 1 tsp. red chili powder, 1 tsp. coriander powder & 1 tsp. garam masala.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the mixture & let it cook for around 5 minutes. Cover the mixture with a lid.
- Grate the 4 eggs which are hard boiled & add it to the mixture. No need to finely grate it. We will use masher to make a smooth mixture later.
- Now, add 3 half fry eggs prepared.
- Mix everything properly.
- Take the potato masher & mash the entire mixture, till it become somewhat smooth. We do not want a very smooth mixture.
- Add 1 cup cheese (optional) and mix very well.
- Garnish the egg ghotala with 1/4 cup finely cut coriander.
- Serve the ghotala hot, as egg does not taste good when they become cold.
- Add chili as per your preference.
- You can substitute oil with butter. Make sure that butter does not get burnt initially.
- Serve hot with bread or pav.