Kala Chana Chaat – Follow the below steps to prepare kala chana chaat.
Other snacks you can try –
Let me know how kala chana chaat turned out for you in comments section.
Do share the recipe if you like it.
Details about kala chana chaat
- Serving – 5 people
- Cuisine – Indian
- Course – Snacks
- Time to cook – 7 hours ( 6 1/2 hours for soaking chana, 20 minutes to boil chickpea & 10 minutes for mixing)
Ingredients for kala chana chaat
- 2 cups kala chana (chickpea)
- 1/2 cup mint coriander chutney
- 2 boiled potato chopped
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 cup cabbage grated
- 1/2 beetroot grated
- 1 medium sized cucumber finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. chat masala
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. dry mango powder
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/2 cup coriander finely chopped
Steps to prepare kala chana chaat
- Soak 2 cups kala chana in water. Fill the water till it reaches 2 inches above the chana level.
- Rest the water + chana mixture for around 6-7 hours
- After 6-7 hours, transfer the mixture to a pressure cooker, add water if required & boil them. Add a little salt too.
- Boil them for 10 minutes on high flame or for 1-2 whistles till the chickpeas are boiled. Turn off the flame.
- Let the pressure release naturally from the cooker.
- Check whether the chickpeas are boiled properly.
- Once done, discard the water & add the chickpeas to the mixing bowl.
- To it add, 1/2 cup mint coriander chutney, 2 boiled potatoes chopped, 2 onions finely chopped, 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped, 1 cup grated cabbage, 1/2 beetroot grated, 2 tbsp. chat masala, 1/2 tsp. garam masala, 1 tsp. red chili powder & 1 tsp. dry mango powder.
- Mix all the ingredients very well in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish the mixture with 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the kala chana chaat slightly warm.
- If not serving immediately, store them in refrigerator.
- You can skip adding the mint coriander chutney.
- Warm the kala chana chaat when serving.
- Adjust the spice levels according to your taste.
- You can add any vegetables are per your taste or availability.