Masala Idli recipe – Follow the below steps to prepare masala idli. This is a great dish which uses leftover idli’s to make a quick snack.
Details about masala idli
- Serving – 2 people
- Cuisine – Indian
- Course – Snacks
- Time to cook – 15 minutes
Ingredients for masala idli
- 5-6 leftover idli’s
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 small onions finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped capsicum
- 2 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilies finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. pav bhaji masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. chaat masala
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped coriander for garnishing
- 2-3 tbsp. water
Steps to prepare masala idli
- Cut each idli into quarters and keep aside for later use.
- Add 2 tbsp. oil in a saucepan & heat it on medium flame.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add in 1/2 cup of finely chopped onions into the oil.
- Fry the onions till they become soft & translucent.
- Add in 2 tsp. ginger garlic paste and fry them til the raw aroma of ginger garlic wears off. Also add 1 green chili finely chopped.
- Now add in 1/2 cup finely chopped capsicum & fry for a minute or two.
- Also add 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes.
- Fry them till they become soft & mushy. You can use masher now to make a rough gravy. Also add some water to it. I added 2 tbsp. water to avoid the gravy sticking to the pan.
- Add in all dry spices now. (1/4 tsp. turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp. red chili powder, 1/2 tsp. pav bhaji masala, 1/2 tsp. chaat masala & salt to taste)
- Cook them till the oil separates. It takes 2-3 minutes for this.
- Drop in the cut idli’s into the spice mixture & mix properly so that idli’s are coated with the gravy.
- Add 1 tsp. lemon juice & mix well.
- Give a final taste to check for spices & salt and let it cook till the gravy thicken and stick to idli’s properly.
- Garnish it with 2 tbsp. finely chopped coriander & serve hot.
- Adjust the spices as per your preference.
- Use idli’s which have been kept in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Freshly made idli’s tend to stick to the pan. Best is to use leftover idli’s for this recipe.