This is a very famous dish served on the roadside stalls in Mumbai. It has almost all the ingredients of pav bhaji except potato & green peas. As pav bhaji is among the favorites of Mumbaikar, similarly, masala pav is also loved due to similar tastes. Onions, tomatoes & capsicum are the three ingredients required to prepare delicious Masala pav.
Do share the recipe if you like it.
Details of masala pav
- Serving – 2-3 people
- Course – Snacks
- Cuisine – Indian
- Time to cook – 30 minutes
Ingredients for masala pav
- 5 pav
- 1 cup finely cut onion
- 3/4 cup finely capsicum
- 1 cup tomato
- 2 finely cut green chilies
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 and 1/2 tsp. pav bhaji masala
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 2 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely cut coriander
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Butter as required for toasting pav
Steps to prepare masala pav
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp. oil and heat it on medium flame.
- Once the oil is hot, add 1 tsp. cumin seeds. Fry for a minute.
- Add 1 cup finely cut onions & to it add 1 tsp. salt. Lower the flame & fry the onions till they are translucent.
- To this add 2 finely cut green chilies & 2 tbsp. ginger garlic paste.
- Fry them till the raw smell of ginger & garlic goes away.
- Now is the time to add 3/4 cup finely cut capsicum.
- Also add 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp. red chili powder and 2 and 1/2 tsp. pav bhaji masala. Also add 1/4 cup water.
- Cover the pan with lid & let the masala fry for about 10 minutes. This will also soften the tomatoes & capsicum.
- Mash the mixture with potato masher, until its roughly smooth.
- Taste the masala and add salt or chili as per your tastes.
- Make sure the masala is not having liquid, as it will make the pav soggy, when we make masala pav.
- Remove the masala into a bowl.
- Split open the pav from middle.
- Add butter to the same pan & toast the pav from all sides. Even from inside.
- Using a spoon, take the prepared masala & add it inside the pav while its still toasting. Its like stuffing the pav with masala.
- Also add some masala over the top of the pav.
- Once toasted, remove the pav from the pan & place it on serving dish.
- Sprinkle some coriander & cheese over the pav. You can also squeeze lime over the pav.
- Serve the pav immediately or else it will become soggy.
- Add chili as per your preference.
- You can also make masala in butter instead of oil.