Rajma Masala – Follow the below steps to prepare rajma masala.
Few other main course recipes for you to try –
Let me know how rajma masala turned out for you in comments section.
Do share the recipe if you like it.
Details about rajma masala
- Serving – 5 people
- Cuisine – Indian
- Course – Indian
- Time to cook – 45 minutes
Ingredients for rajma masala
- 3 tbsp. oil + 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups cooked rajma
- 2 medium sized onion paste
- 3 large sized tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 & 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- Pinch of Hing
- 1 tsp. jeera powder
- 2 tsp. jeera seeds
- 2 tbsp. crushed kasuri methi
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 2 tsp.red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. cream
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped coriander
- Water as required
- Steps to prepare rajma masala
Steps to create rajma masala
- Soak 2 cups of rajma in water for 6-7 hours or overnight.
- In a pressure cooker, transfer the soaked rajma & add 4 cups of water. Add a pinch of salt to it.
- Let the rajma pressure cook for 7-8 whistles. This is very important as the rajma should be cooked completely. It should not have a bite to it when rajma masala is prepared. It should be sort of melt in mouth cooked.
- Set the cooked rajma aside & let us start preparing the curry masala.
- In a saucepan, add 1 tbsp. butter & 3 tbsp. oil & heat it on medium flame.
- One the oil is hot enough, lower the flame & 2 tsp. jeera seeds & let them crackle.
- Now add paste of 2 medium sized onions.
- Let the onions fry for 5-10 minutes till they become slightly golden & translucent.
- Once they are fried, add 3 tbsp. ginger garlic paste & 2 slit green chilies.
- Cook the ginger garlic till the raw aroma wears off.
- Add paste of 3 medium sized tomatoes.
- Also add 2 & 1/2 tsp. garam masala, 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder, pinch of hing, 1 tsp. jeera powder, 1 & 1/2 tsp. coriander powder, 2 tsp. red chili powder, 2 tbsp. crushed kasuri methi and salt to taste.
- Cook the above mixture for 5-7 minutes till the oil separates.
- Once the oil is separated, add the cooked rajma & add water as required. If you want a thick gravy, use less water & more water for thin gravy. I have add 3 cups of water here.
- Let it come to boil over low heat. Once the mixture is boiling for 2-3 minutes, add 2 tbsp. cream to the mixture & mix well.
- Do the final taste check to adjust salt or any spices.
- Finally add 3 tbsp. finely cut coriander leaves & mix well.
- Take it off the flame & serve hot with roti, chapati or steamed rice.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
- It is very important to cook rajma perfectly so that there is no bite to it while eating.
- You can skip adding cream.