Vegetable Stock – Follow the below steps to prepare vegetable stock. Vegetable stock is used in preparation of soups, curries, cooking rice or noodles. Onions, celery & carrot form the base of the vegetable stock. These are the must have vegetables for preparation of the stock. You can add other vegetables as per your choice or which are present in your fridge.
Not all vegetables can be used in preparation of vegetable stock. Some exception include potato which makes the stock cloudy due to presence of stock. Green beans turn bitter if we cook them for 30-40 minutes. Avoid strong flavour vegetables like beetroot which will empower other flavours in stock.
Some people also recommend to add garlic & peppercorns to the stock, but it is not recommended because you will not know for what purpose the stock will be used. We can definitely add garlic & peppercorns while preparing the main dish. So I avoid it while preparing the stock.
Let me know how vegetable stock turned out for you in comments section.
Do share the recipe if you like it.
Details about vegetable stock
- Serving – 3 cups
- Cuisine – Global
- Course – Miscellaneous
- Time to cook – 1 hour
Ingredients for vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 2-3 celery roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions
- 10 sprigs parsley
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups water
Steps to prepare vegetable stock
- Chop all the vegetables roughly to around 1 inch.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large saucepan.
- Add 1 onion, 2-3 celery, 2 carrots, 1 bunch green onions, 10 sprigs of parsley, 5 sprigs of thyme & 2-3 bay leaves once the oil is hot.
- Cook all the vegetables on a medium heat for around 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- After 10 minutes, add 4 cups of water and 1 tsp. salt to the vegetables.
- Bring the whole mixture to a boil on high heat.
- Once the water starts to boil, lower the heat so that the water is just simmering and you see steam coming off the water.
- Cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
- After 30-40 minutes, strain the mixture through a muslin or cheesecloth, to collect all the vegetables. Squeeze the vegetables collected slightly to extract remaining stock.
- Discard all the vegetables as all the nutrients have been absorbed in the water.
- Vegetable stock an be stored in refrigerator for around a week in an air tight container.
- Freezing the stock allows to store it for a month, in the freezer section.
- If you are short on time, directly start with cooking the vegetables in water. No need to fry them for 10 minutes. Fry the vegetables beforehand to impart more flavours.